Saturday, July 30, 2005

We Fade to Grey

Greetings Everyone,

Well, I am back in the United States obviously. Yes, I survived the trip back, although one of my flights was cancelled and I spent the night in Detroit. I experienced my only pronounced bout of culture shock when I was at the hotel there. I decided that since the hotel restaurant was packed with people having drinks and possibly closed that I'd walk to the McDonald's I saw on the shuttle ride. It ended up taking about 15 minutes and I was amazed by the distances. Each business needed miles of lawn and parking. It was such a waste of space compared to cosy old Europe.

I had planned on immediately writing something about my experience returning, but I have been so wrapped up in my resuscitating life that I haven't had time. Thanks to the many people I saw around who said they enjoyed reading this blog, it was good to know someone was actually taking the time to read it. I know I can be pretty verbose at times.

I have done all the American things I missed since I got back. Free refills everywhere, Mexican food, drive throughs, Sheetz, oh especially Sheetz. You name it. And for the first time I took a little pleasure in the American-ness of such activities. But mostly I adapted more quickly than I anticipated. I was only in my apartment for a week before I had to leave for Charleston for a little work vacation, which is good since I don't have an actual job yet. I went to a baseball game and really appreciated it for the cheap beer and hot dog fest that it was. And last night I went to see a metal show with my friends Ryan and Jeff and played pool. I guess you can do that in France or somewhere but it feels more appropriate in Huntington, all the while drinking Budweiser, the King of Beers.™ King of beers! What a joke! But it definitely makes me appreciate some of the things we have for what they are, having been gone for a month.

But now that my holiday is over, it leads me to wonder what I will do with this blog. I think I am going to continue to use it, not as frequently (every day is a lot), but I'll post some observations on culture and design, since this is my field, and occasionally some crazy music. So if these things interest you feel free to come back. I really want to give this thing a proper facelift. If I end up working as a freelancer for a living I probably will, but if I get an agency job soon I probably won't have time. We'll see. Be sure to check back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home